WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. — The Purdue Board of Trustees introduced nowadays (June 10) its unanimous election of Dr. Mung Chiang, lately the John A. Edwardson Dean of Engineering and Government Vice President for Strategic Projects, because the college’s subsequent president. Dr. Chiang will change present president Mitch Daniels efficient Jan. 1, 2023. Daniels has served since January 2013.
Throughout Chiang’s 5 years at Purdue, he has led his school to its perfect ratings ever, even because it has grown dramatically at each the undergraduate and graduate ranges. Purdue is lately ranked No. 4 amongst graduate methods, No. 3 for on-line methods, and No. 10 for undergraduate training, and is the biggest undergraduate program within the country’s best 10. Each executive and industry-sponsored analysis investment have set new information, as do the 12 nationwide analysis facilities now housed on the college.
In the meantime, Chiang has performed a central position in organising new relationships with federal companies within the nationwide safety and financial construction sectors, and in recruiting new corporations to take a position and create jobs in Purdue’s Discovery Park District. He spent 2020 as medical and era marketing consultant to the U.S. secretary of state on a prestigious Intergovernmental Workforce Act appointment.
Chiang earned a B.S. (Hons.) in electric engineering and arithmetic, and an M.S. and Ph.D. in electric engineering from Stanford College. He got here to Purdue from Princeton College, the place in his position because the Arthur LeGrand Professor of Electric Engineering, he used to be known for a lot of inventions in instructing and used to be the primary chairman of Princeton’s Entrepreneurial Council. The holder of 25 patents, he based 3 corporations and used to be named New Jersey’s CEO of the Yr in 2014. Amongst many different educational honors, Chiang won the Alan T. Waterman Award in 2013 because the country’s best scientist below the age of 40 for his excellence in edge computing, web congestion, cloud and video optimization, and different analysis spaces. Chiang’s analysis publications have won over 30,000 citations with an H-index of 81. He has graduated greater than 50 Ph.D. scholars and postdocs, together with 24 who’ve change into school in analysis universities. His complete biography will also be learn at the Purdue College Faculty of Engineering web page.
Chiang will lead a transition of his tasks as dean, whilst proceeding his strategic projects project.
Board of Trustees Chairman Michael Berghoff stated, “Mung is the perfect selection to steer Purdue into its subsequent ‘large soar.’ The board may no longer be extra assured on this variety, as now we have had the chance to look at his efficiency throughout a huge vary of tasks for 5 years.
“He has displayed no longer handiest educational excellence but in addition administrative acumen, efficient relationship-building with educational, governmental, and industry companions, and the abilities of public communications. He brings all the bundle of skills and revel in vital to take our college additional ahead. It isn’t surprising that Mung has been presented the presidency of a number of different faculties, and the board is thankful that his loyalty to Purdue saved him right here and to be had as this time of transition arrived.”
Berghoff thanked President Daniels for his carrier, pronouncing, “The decade has noticed Purdue reach unheard of ranges of nationwide reputation, mirrored in listing enrollments, educational ratings, and general recognition.
Remark from Dr. Mung Chiang
“It’s the perfect and maximum humbling honor to be decided on by means of the Board of Trustees as the following president of Purdue College: the original and maximum exceptional land grant establishment within the land of the loose. All over the previous 153 years, and spanning from Wabash River to the Moon, generations of Boilermakers contributed to our state, to our nation, and to humanity in immeasurable techniques. There is not any different position like Purdue.
“And there is not any different college chief like ours. President Daniels and the phenomenal group constructed Purdue into essentially the most consequential public college in the US. Beneath Mitch’s transformational management, our college attained the most powerful educational recognition, from record-breaking enrollment to all-time-high analysis excellence, from the Ever True marketing campaign to the reworked campus. Purdue led the rustic in safely reopening throughout the pandemic, whilst its monetary basis is fortified more potent than ever ahead of. However there’s much more. Mitch may be essentially the most leading edge president in The usa: affordability thru tuition freeze, 21st century land grant thru Purdue World, and financial enlargement in Indiana thru entrepreneurship and the Discovery Park District in West Lafayette.
“The fantastic luck of the Daniels’ Decade will have to proceed. Whilst my circle of relatives and I are blessed with the delight of gold and black, I’m additionally humbled by means of a frightening job: to make sure the continuity of nowadays’s momentum into the following large leaps. I’ve had the privilege to be part of the Purdue group up to now 5 years, and to develop the variability of carrier as an EVP, however there’s a lot more that I want to continue to learn, like a scholar, from every of you. Within the subsequent seven months and past, my tasks get started with listening, to scholars, school, workforce, alumni, neighbors, and state, nationwide and international companions, to all pals and households of Purdue.
“Neil Armstrong stated, “Wisdom is key to all human fulfillment and development.” A college creates a time when lives are lifted by means of scholar get entry to and luck. My very own lifestyles used to be lifted out of shortage on account of training. A college preserves a spot for all minds in pursuit of open inquiry. And I’m ever thankful for the glory to commit myself in carrier of the abilities at our college. As an immigrant residing the American dream and as a citizen of this largest country in human historical past, I’m additionally proud to serve, in upper training as I did within the U.S. State Division, the most efficient hope for freedom and alternative within the ‘shining town on a hill.’
“Alternatives and demanding situations are intensifying for American upper training, from the modality and worth of finding out to R&D funding by means of the federal government and personal sector. We’re assured that all the Purdue gadget, throughout all campuses and all devices, will innovate in combination and excel in combination: one brick at a time, towards boundless attainable within the Boilermaker long term.
“Hail Our Purdue!”
Decided on vital accomplishments of the Mitch Daniels presidency
- Frozen tuition for unheard of 11 years thru 2022-23.
- March 2013: Simply seven weeks into his presidency, President Daniels broadcasts a two-year tuition freeze to deal with emerging school prices and considerations over affordability. This marks the primary time tuition won’t pass up since 1976.
- Release of daring projects and college priorities: Purdue Strikes in 2013 and Purdue’s Subsequent Strikes in 2021.
- Acquisition, release and enlargement of Purdue College World.
- Introduction of Purdue Polytechnic Prime Faculties, now 3 faculties robust in Indianapolis and South Bend.
- Dedication to Freedom of Expression, with Purdue turning into the primary public establishment of upper training to undertake a loose speech coverage known as the “Chicago rules.”
- Conception and championship of the expansion and growth of the Discovery Park District at Purdue.
- New essential partnerships and company places, together with Rolls-Royce, Saab, Schweitzer Engineering Labs.
- File innovation and commercialization process, together with enlargement in patents and startups according to Purdue school and scholar analysis and discovery.
- Transformation of the State Side road hall.
- File enlargement of fundraising, together with extremely a success Ever True fundraising marketing campaign, elevating greater than $2.5 billion, and the release of the Purdue Day of Giving, an annual birthday celebration that has grown and completed listing donors and donations every 12 months since 2014.
- Yearlong birthday celebration of Purdue’s one hundred and fiftieth anniversary.
- Larger ratings around the board for the college, its faculties and methods.
- Exceptional enlargement of the college and the undergraduate scholar frame.
- Transformative training projects, together with Level in 3 methods throughout campus, a Civics Literacy requirement, and evaluation of the expansion in vital considering for all scholars.
- Growth of the bodily plant, together with:
- Chaney-Hale Corridor of Science.
- Agricultural and Organic Engineering Development.
- David and Bonnie Brunner Purdue Veterinary Scientific Health center Complicated.
- Wilmeth Energetic Studying Middle.
- Faculty of Engineering and Purdue Polytechnic Gateway Complicated: Dudley Corridor and Lambertus Corridor.
- Marc and Sharon Hagle Corridor.
- The Lifestyles Sciences Levels Phenotyping Greenhouse Development.
- Animal Sciences complicated: Creighton Corridor of Animal Sciences, the Land O’Lakes Middle for Experiential Studying and Purina Pavilion.
- Zucrow Prime-Pace Propulsion Lab.
- Hypersonics and Carried out Analysis Facility.
- Schleman Corridor of Scholar Products and services and Stewart Middle renovations for scholar services and products.
- Introduction of Presidential Lecture Sequence, bringing to campus outstanding visitor audio system on coverage, management, tradition and society.
About Purdue College
Purdue College is a best public analysis establishment creating sensible answers to nowadays’s hardest demanding situations. Ranked in every of the final 4 years as probably the most 10 Maximum Cutting edge universities in the US by means of U.S. Information & International Record, Purdue delivers world-changing analysis and out-of-this-world discovery. Dedicated to hands-on and on-line, real-world finding out, Purdue provides a transformative training to all. Dedicated to affordability and accessibility, Purdue has frozen tuition and maximum charges at 2012-13 ranges, enabling extra scholars than ever to graduate debt-free. See how Purdue by no means stops within the chronic pursuit of the following large soar at https://tales.purdue.edu.
Media touch: Tim Doty, [email protected]